Minimising packaging is our biggest ongoing challenge. Right now we’re reducing waste wherever we can and using a mix of recycled and recyclable materials for our packaging.
Here's a quick breakdown of the things we're currently doing:
- Laundry boxes = 95% recycled.
- Auto dish tab boxes = 85% recycled (some virgin material is needed for strength).
- ecostore bottles = HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) - code 2 for recycling.
- Screw-top plastic lids on some of our bulk containers = Polypropylene - code 5 for recycling. (Lids have to be tougher to withstand pressure needed to tighten them).
- We’re testing ways to use post-consumer recycled plastic in our bottles.
- Polypropylene labels printed on a clear polyester backing = fully recyclable and don't need to be removed for recycling.
- Clear backing and labels reduce the amount of printing inks and dyes required.
- Water-based adhesive is used to apply our labels.
- We offer refills and bulk sizes.
- The plastic bag inside our laundry boxes is made of LDPE (code 4 for recycling). We’re getting rid of the bag as soon as we’ve made some adjustments to our laundry powder.
- Measuring scoops inside our laundry powder boxes = 100% post-consumer regrind plastic.
- We manufacture the only plastic trigger spray in NZ that contains no metal parts making it fully recyclable.